Los Angeles police are investigating the man, who identified himself as James Otis, dressed as a city construction worker and set up several Los Angeles Department of Transportation cones and signs around the Trump's star before destroying it.
USA TODAY NETWORK
It's too bad for Donald Trump that Secret Service protection doesn't extend to the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
A vandal took a hammer and pickax to the center of the reality TV personality-turned-presidential contender's star near the Dolby Theatre on Hollywood Boulevard before dawn on Wednesday, Deadline.com reports. In the process, both Trump's name and the camera icon in the center of the star were damaged beyond recognition.
In a statement, Hollywood Chamber of Commerce president and CEO Leron Gubler said Trump's star will be replaced immediately but must sit for a few days before it can be polished. During that time, it will be covered for protection.
When people are unhappy with one of our honorees, we would hope that they would project their anger in more positive ways than to vandalize a California state landmark," he lamented. "Our democracy is based on respect for the law. People can make a difference by voting and not destroying public property.
He went on to note that his group intends to prosecute the vandal to the full extent of the law, an action they would undertake "for any Walk of Fame star that has been vandalized."
The vandal, who identified himself to Deadline as Jamie Otis, told the website had planned to remove the star intact and auction it off on election day to raise money for the dozen women who've accused the Apprentice personality of sexual assault.
All of these liars will be sued after the election is over," Trump proclaimed during a late October campaign stop in Gettysburg, Pa
Otis went about his work disguised as a construction worker to fool passersby.
Cellphone video has since surfaced in which he calmly discusses his motivation with bystanders, noting that "four or five" members of his family had been sexually assaulted. However, his face was obscured by his helmet and a pole, making identification harder. And he was gone by 6 a.m. PT, when the LAPD dispatched a patrol car to investigate a vandalism call.
LAPD Officer Norma Eisenman described him to USA TODAY only as a white male and noted that he left behind a pick, sledgehammer, construction hat and a vest. Meanwhile, the department is asking the public to call them at (213) 972-2971 with any tips that may help identify him.
We're reviewing surveillance footage from local businesses and when the case is completed, it will be submitted to the district attorney for filing of a felony vandalism charge," she said, adding that the damage to Trump's star is estimated at $2,500
Trump received his star in January 2007 surrounded by wife Melania, adult son Donald Jr. and his youngest child, Barron.
It has been vandalized multiple times since Trump launched his bid for the presidency. In the past year, it's been spray-painted with a backward swastika and mute symbol. The most ambitious incident occurred in July when a street artist built a wall around it, complete with concertina wire and miniature flags.
The candidate has yet to respond to the latest act of vandalism on his social media accounts.Read the full article here